Volleyball Facts Trivia at gamerisms
facts trivia is informative and entertaining because this sport is a
worldwide phenomenon and boasts many passionate players and fans.
Volleyball Facts Trivia Report
Facts Trivia to Cricket Game Terms
Other Sports Clicks
- The sport is not only played in high schools and colleges
throughout the USA, but is featured in the Olympics and international
- This Volleyball report covers the rich history of
figures and people of the game.
- Although it's a surprise to many people, volleyball is the second
most popular sport in the world today behind soccer. It is played all
across the world and in many different forms of competition.
- The game takes many of its characteristics from other sports that
were popular at the time of its inception, such as handball, badminton
- Volleyball was originally called mintonette, because it shared many
of the same ideas as badminton.
- The Volleyball Hall of Fame is located in Holyoke, Massachusetts.
The location was chosen because the game is believed to have been
invented at the YMCA in town.
- A fun piece of volleyball facts trivia is the dispute about who
made the first official volleyball. Some say the first ball was made by
Spalding in 1896, but many other companies want to put their name on
this sport's history as well.
- Volleyball owes a lot of its growth in the 1940's and 1950's to
soldiers in World War 2. The YMCA taught the sport to soldiers placed
in Germany, Italy and Japan in order to help spread Christianity
worldwide. The soldiers also taught the sport to their friends and
family when they returned home.
- Volleyball was first introduced to the Olympics in Tokyo in 1964.
The first men's gold medal was won by the USSR while the first women's
gold was won by Japan.
- Some volleyball facts trivia are poetic, such as Yasutaka
Matsudaira being quoted as saying that volleyball is like an orchestra
sent from heaven. Matsudaira won 3 gold medals for Japan.
- Beach volleyball first started springing up in Santa Monica,
California during the 1920's. At first, the game was played with six
players per side, but beach volleyball was forever changed in 1930 when
Paul “Pablo” Johnson decided to play with just two men on each team.
- The first professional beach volleyball tournament was called the
Olympia World Championship of Beach Volleyball. It took place at Will
Rogers State Beach during late summer in 1976.
- Al Scates is the first college volleyball coach to reach 900
wins. Scates is the current coach of the UCLA Bruins and has won 19
NCAA championships. He has also won coach of the year 5 times.
- The Floater serve is very similar to a knuckle ball in baseball.
Its unpredictable movement can cause the opposing team to fall over
trying to hit it.
- According to the Guinness World Record, the longest game of
volleyball lasted 55 hours as a support to homeless people in
At gamerisms.com, we are attentive about getting the word out
about the language of sports and games; however, we ask your assistance
and consideration in promoting us.
Click link below that reads, "Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward.
Here's how..." to add a link to your site, blog or personal page.