Video Game Facts Trivia at gamerisms
Video Game Facts Trivia history begins
with a span of over 40 years since the likes of Galaxy Game and Pong
and provides detailed information about the Video Game World since.
Each of the 10 videogame genres reviewed at the site are covered here.
Video Games have come a long way, and are now one of the leading
entertainment industries in the world. Curious? Read on.
- General Video Game Facts Trivia
- Video game industry revenue in 2010 was over $25 billion in the
US. While worldwide, revenue was over $60 billion, and is on the rise
- The best selling individual videogame for a console is Wii
Sports, coming in at nearly 80 million copies.
- The best selling video game franchise of all time is Mario,
selling more than 446 million copies since his debut on July 9, 1981.
- Known as Cybersports,
professional video game players gather sponsors and play for money.
Skilled players can make over $100,000 a year. This is more common in
countries outside of the US.
- The E.T. video game for Atari is heralded as the worst video game
of all time and is blamed for the major video game crash of the 80's.
Bafflingly, it sold 500,000 more copies than Space Invaders, the most
famous and critically acclaimed game of the time. Hundreds of thousands
of copies of E.T. were buried in a trash hole in New Mexico.
- Statistically speaking, the most popular game of all time is
Angry Birds, with over 700 million downloads both free and purchased.
- Even though South Korea is only the fourth largest videogame
market in the world, it is considered Video
Games' Crazed Capital by Business Week.
This is because of the percentage of market penetration, and the level
of obsession by some gamers.
- Online Games: Video Game Facts Trivia
- Most video games have at least some form of online connectivity,
even if it is just a leader board. Despite popular belief, 64% of
online gamers around the world are women. Online gaming is 75% of the
- The longest online game session ever recorded was 50 hours,
achieved by six Dutch gamers. The game was Red Dead Redemption for PS3.
Each player got 1,000 Euros as well as a Guinness World Record.
- In the 2010 fiscal year, Microsoft made over $1 billion from Xbox
Live subscriptions alone. Even though gamers can use Playstation
Network for free, Xbox Live remains the most popular console network.
- Simulation/SIM games: Video Game Facts
- Simulation games technically have the most subgenres, because so
many games are categorized as simulation, including some sports and
- Simulation videogames are often played by non-gamers, because
they do not necessarily require intense reflexes or high amounts of
- Several musical artists have re-recorded hit songs for the EA
series The Sims in the game
world's primary language - Simlish.
Artists include Katy Perry, The Pussycat Dolls, John Mayer and many
- Action-Adventure Games: Video Game
- Action-Adventure games have several subgenres, including
shooters, platformers, puzzlers and more. Sometimes they are combined
into one game.
- Whether linear or nonlinear, most adventure games involve some
level of exploration. Many of these games also have complex plots and
- Studies show that players of action videogames have better
hand-eye coordination, resistance to distraction, and overall focus.
- First Person Shooter Games: Video Game
- There are generally two types of FPS games; twitch and tactical.
Twitch shooters rely on fast reactions and the ability to function in
hectic game environments. Tactical games require methodical planning,
precision and teamwork. Some games, such as entries in the Call of Duty
series, have successfully integrated both play formats.
- Statistics show that, on average, less than 20% of gamers who
play modern FPS games ever complete the single player campaign.
- A multiplayer shooting game produced by the US Army, called America's Army, actually saved some
lives. Paxton Galvanek of North Carolina saw an SUV flip over, and
saved the lives of the victims inside by utilizing the first-aid skills
he obtained by playing the game.
- Fighting Games: Video Game Facts Trivia
- Most fighting games are played on a 2D plane, even if it is
rendered in 3D. Games played on a 3D plane are often much more complex,
and require a higher degree of skill to master.
- Some fighting videogames can be played successfully by button mashing, meaning to press
random buttons and hope for the best, but some games are designed so
that if the player button mashes, it will punish them by making their
character perform terribly and lose.
- Street Fighter II is considered the turning point for fighting
games, and most are compared to it today. It remains one of the most
popular fighting franchises worldwide.
- War Games: Video Game Facts Trivia
- A helicopter manufacturing company, Textron, attempted to sue EA
because of the real life helicopters depicted in Battlefield 3. It was
not the first time a lawsuit was filed because of vehicles in EA's
games. EA won on the count of the First Amendment as video games were
ruled to have the same right to free speech as other forms of
- Many videogames, such as Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, were
produced with the assistance of actual military personnel, some of whom
had been to the location related to the game. This research creates
videogames that are more realistic and provide an increased level of
- War games are more or less a subgenre; not all of them are
shooters. Strategy games like Empire Earth are also based on war, but
include the factors of economy and city management.
- Sport Games: Video Game Facts Trivia
- Sports is the most popular video game genre, just barely
- Sports games decrease in value faster than any other genre due to
the frequency of new releases, but every release, ahem, sports
improvements over the previous.
- Racing Games: Video Game Facts Trivia
- Atari's Space Race was
the very first racing game, made in 1973.
- Most of the original racing games were in black and white.
- The first time vibration feedback was ever used was in a 1976
racing game, originally called Moto-Cross.
Sega later re-branded the game and called it Fonz, to create a Happy Days tie-in.
- Educational Games: Video Game Facts
- There is a multitude of websites online specifically for kids.
Most of the designers make these games with both fun and education in
- There are educational videogame sites in nearly every language,
from every country. They are not all just for kids, either. Some
companies make games that help educate adults as well as children.
- Disney appears to have the largest selection of online games for
kids, almost all of which have some value of developing brainpower in
- Puzzle/Board Videogames: Video Game
- Nearly every Microsoft computer comes with a selection of board
and puzzle type games installed, most of which can be played with other
players over the internet. These include chess, checkers, and
- Puzzle and board games are the most common type of free video
game with several variations available online or for download on the
PC. There are even several available on mobile app stores.
- One of the most interesting board video games is Battle Chess.
All of the pieces come to life and do battle with each other when they
land on another occupied space. Some of the deaths are rather comical.
- Poker Game Software: Video Game Facts
- gamerisms offers 12
poker software reviews for the videogame genre series:
- An additional tool/resource for poker players are the Online
Poker Calculator and Trackers for an instant advantage in the
competitive online poker environment.
- Poker Calculators, the most requested type of poker assist
software offers odds, draws and profiling stats.
- The 3 main types of poker calculators are known as operative,
mathematical and empirical. When making a choice for an online poker
calculator, your focus should be on the empirical types as these
calculators and trackers are legal, easy to use, and have the
capability of monitoring and recording the behavior of other players.
- They keep track of all the important statistics and calculate all
the important numbers for you instantly for both the mathematical and
human aspect of the game.
Video Game Facts Trivia to Facts Central
is a 2-part Video Games Glossary, 11
articles about Video Game Genres to include Intro and 2 Quiz.
Games Glossary Intro
2 with more gamers terms
Game Genres Quiz
At gamerisms.com, we are attentive about getting the word out
about the language of sports and games; however, we ask your assistance
and consideration in promoting us.
Click link below that reads, "Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward.
Here's how..." to add a link to your site, blog or personal page.