Video Game Trivia
General Video Game Facts
Video Games have come a long way, and are now one of the leading entertainment industries in the world.
- Video game industry revenue in 2010 was over $25 billion in the US. While worldwide, revenue was over $60 billion, and is on the rise again.
- The best selling individual videogame for a console is Wii Sports, coming in at nearly 80 million copies.
- The best selling video game franchise of all time is Mario, selling more than 446 million copies since his debut on July 9, 1981.
- In 2015, the first six games inducted into the World Video Game Hall of Fame were Pong, Tetris, Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros., DOOM and World of Warcraft.
- Known as Cybersports, professional video game players gather sponsors and play for money. Skilled players can make over $100,000 a year. This is more common in countries outside of the US.
- The E.T. video game for Atari is heralded as the worst video game of all time and is blamed for the major video game crash of the 80's. Bafflingly, it sold 500,000 more copies than Space Invaders, the most famous and critically acclaimed game of the time. Hundreds of thousands of copies of E.T. were buried in a trash hole in New Mexico.
- Statistically speaking, the most popular game of all time is Angry Birds, with over 700 million downloads both free and purchased.
- Even though South Korea is only the fourth largest videogame market in the world, it is considered Video Games' Crazed Capital by Business Week. This is because of the percentage of market penetration, and the level of obsession by some gamers.